Meet Our Team
Director – Head of Private Wealth
Tel: +44 (0) 207 375 1393
Following a spell as the Firm’s Managing Partner (September 2015 – February 2019), Adam Ramlugon now heads up the Firm’s new Private Wealth Department.
Adam has extensive experience in superyacht and a wide range of other luxury asset and commercial matters. His client base includes UHNW individuals, family offices, private banks and investment funds, yacht and aviation management firms and other law firms that require English legal advice in connection with superyachts or other luxury asset classes. His practice covers both transactional and contentious work.
His role as Head of Private Wealth reflects the broad network of contacts that Adam has across the numerous industries that work with UHNWI’s and their Family Offices, and Adam’s increasingly broad practice which now also includes advisory work in alternative asset classes such as Blockchain backed utility tokens.
Clients praise Adam’s attention to detail and his ability to advise on a wide array of legal issues in a clear and approachable way. Here are some of the things Adam’s clients say about him:
“…. brilliant strategic mind…”
“… charming, perceptive and always quick to grasp what a client needs…”
“… has the unique ability to calm things down and dissect a situation…”
Adam is a member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club and a regular contributor to industry publications such as Yacht Investor and The Superyacht Report.
Examples of Adam’s work include:
Superyachts and Luxury Assets
- Superyacht construction, sale and purchase, tax and regulatory advice
- Jet and superyacht finance
- VAT advice as it pertains to superyachts and other luxury assets
- Advising on the applicability of the EU Temporary Admission regime (among other forms of tax/customs duty) relief as they apply to both yachts and aircraft
- Advising on the security measures to be implemented on a €200m superyacht
- Yacht registration and ownership matters
- Company re-domiciliation
- Advising on the effects of the Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (MLC). Adam and the team enjoyed the privilege of working with the first Cayman flagged yacht to be awarded its MLC certificate of compliance.
- Preparing MLC-compliant Seafarer Employment Agreements.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Large commercial arbitration work, pursuant to LMAA rules (among others)
- Resolving disputes pursuant to expert determination procedures
- Warranty claims under construction contracts
- Insurance based litigation
- Dispute resolution including arbitration work under LMAA Rules and ad hoc references
Reported cases with which Adam has been involved include:
- Consolidated Contractors (Oil and Gas) Company SAL (acting by Mr. Lee Manning as receiver) v Canadian Nexen Petroleum Yemen & Others
- Acting for a court-appointed receiver of a judgment debtor company. The international arbitration was expedited and heard over a two day hearing in Geneva, and involved complex multiple systems of law including Yemeni, Lebanese, and English law in what was a ground-breaking attempt by an English court-appointed receiver to gain control of foreign assets (in this case oil situate in Yemen).
- Gamit Ltd v Saudi Arabian Airlines Corp & Anor  EWHC 989
- Defending the maintenance division of German jet engine manufacturer MTU in a dispute over title to replacement jet engine parts of some $20m